True Confessions of a Chicago Girl's Homecoming
Fight it if you must, but here's a couple of the things that I've found to be unavoidable.
Maybe it's just me?
1. You will visit your parents house in the burbs and you will hit traffic coming from O'Hare.
2. You will bump into people from high school who suddenly speak to you because you "work in fashion" now. Um hi?
3. You will find your local Target not up to speed with the Super Target you frequent in the new city you live in.
4. You will wear supersize sunglasses on Wacker Dr. just to see if someone mistakes you for a celebrity. Futile but fun.
5. You will walk into a bar and see several of your ex boyfriends. They will look the same way you left them.
6. You will decide karaoke is a great idea on a Wednesday night after dabbling in sangria.
7. You will debate running for Mayor for a solid 48 hours. I mean-- who'd be the competition?
8. You friends will ask you if certain blog posts are about this person or that one.
9. You will deny all of #8's accusations.
10. You will revel in the joy of NOT having to use GPS everywhere you go. You know the backroads for a change.
11. You will go to brunch and be oddly insulted that here it only lasts an hour. Brunch is all day affair.
12. You get tired of explaining what exactly you do for a living so you just start making stuff up. Commercial airline pilot? Sure. Future Mayor? Please read #7.
13. You'll wish you could take Lake Shore Drive home with you. Best running path around.
14. You will get told that there's a two hour wait at your favorite restaurant until--oh wait--your ex boyfriend is the manager? Make that two minutes.
15. You'll make a tiny schedule so you can see all the people you love. Some people you see may even surprise you.
16. You will just show up at your best friend's house when she doesn't answer your texts in a timely manner. Now she has to decide on a coffee date time.
17. You will regale the town of Chicago with tales of your early twenties. They won't listen but you and your friends will fancy yourselves legends in your own right.
18. You will yell "Go Pack Go" to every yellow and green comrade you find on the streets.
19. This will embarrass all your friends who cheer for the Bears. Which is everyone you know.
20. You will wear your pink Rodgers Jersey to Sunday's game and repeat #18.
Go Pack Go. It's good to be home.