6.09.2014

I Survived: Texas Part I

Mondays are for candlelit writing sessions with Copeland playing in the background. Funny how no matter where I find myself; give me a comfy spot, a laptop, and acoustic music... I'll write you something pretty.

I love writing at night and right as the sun comes up. Clearly, I like to ensure that there are zero interruptions. Writing after a long day is the best. Or really doing anything after a long day. But if nothing else, I love to write at the end of a day to say I put something into the world in the past 24 hours. I created something on a Monday and said, "Oh.. hey world! I did this... so today was pretty grand."

Depeche Mode just came on the shuffle. This post is gonna be good.

I am so ridiculously in love with summertime. I can honestly say that despite hardships, heartbreak, and just all around some shitty situations... none of these have ever infiltrated a sweet summer of mine. Summer is for falling in love, watching stars, and fresh flowers on the windowsill. Summer is for the dreamers, and through this year I can say that I have hung onto that.

Last week I celebrated my first year of dating Texas and remarkably we are going strong. I fought this whole "cowboy boots" deal, but now I admit I am hunting down my first pair. I gave in and went to Buc-ees (glorified gas station), attended the rodeo TWICE (I borrowed boots obvi), and have cheered at several turtle races (my turtle was scratched once... never found out what happened...).

All in all though, this year has been one of growth and lots of faith. Faith in friendships, the future, and in taking new leaps into the unknown. I remember my plane ride when I was leaving Chicago "for good" and I knew it would be a while before I was back in my hometown. I remember telling myself that I had to do this. I had to push myself. I had to find out what I was made of.

Apparently I'm stronger than I thought. Starting over is hard, but it forces you to look in the mirror and figure out who you are. It enables a lot of alone time, and it fosters self improvement. I am so thankful for the friends (who have become family) that I have met and explored with in this year and I can't wait for another year of discovery, river tubing, wineries, and day trips to the ocean. I'm excited again for what's to come.

They say that if you want to get what you want, just stop looking. Just stop asking. Just sit still and wait.

I am happy to report that whoever "they" are, they weren't wrong. In 365 days of living in the unknown, I've finished my first (of many) lap and can say that good things truly do come to those who wait.

To those of you in a tough time-please hang on. You're about to come around the corner and what's in store will surely make you smile.

To those of you in a miraculous time-enjoy every second, every breath, every morning of happiness. Soak it in like summer. Bask in it like the sun. Bring people in to sit with you and stay warm.

And to those of you who just have no fucking clue. You're completely normal. You are brave. Take a minute to celebrate your strength in accepting the unknown. Baby steps are still steps.

Five for Fighting just came on... 100 Years...

How can you not want to get out there and do something awesome?

"...when you've only got 100 years to live."







Cheers y'all,

Kristin.


No comments:

Post a Comment